Scotland Blanks Cavaliers 42-0 In Sandhills 3A/4A Matchup
Southern Lee Football returned to action after a two week quarantine with a senior night celebration at home, but all the happiness went back to Laurinburg as the Scotland County Scots took down the Cavaliers 42-0. Playing in their Sandhills 3A/4A conference opener, the Cavs played tough defense but was let down by poor special teams play that resulted in a touchdown and led to two others as they dropped their 4th straight game to start the season.
Southern Lee had two bad snaps on punts that set up the Scots deep in Cavalier territory, leading to two touchdown throws, and another bad punt snap went into the end zone and recovered by Scotland for a third touchdown. Scotland County took the opening kick and went 70 yards in 6 plays to jump out in front 7-0. They then recovered the ensuing onside kick, but an off-side penalty gave the Cavs the ball back. Southern Lee struggled to move the ball consistently against a tough and physical Scotland defense. The Cavs did manage to get into Scotland territory a few times in the game, but were turned away on 4th down plays each time.
The Cavs defense played solid for much of the night and picked off Scotland Quarterback, Carter Revelle, three times. Two by Jeremiah Freeman and one by Anthony Robinson. Freeman also made two stellar defensive plays, one on a 4th down play, to break up two long potential pass plays.
The Cavaliers (0-1, 0-4) travel next week to face Pinecrest (0-1, 3-2). Scotland County (2-0, 5-1) will host Union Pines.
Scotland County 7 21 14 0 42
Southern Lee 0 0 0 0 0
SC – Izeem Graham 6yd pass from Revelle (Cole Kick)
SC – Cadyn Graves 11yd pass from Revelle (Cole Kick)
SC – Hunter Callahan recovered fumble in end zone (Cole Kick)
SC – Graham 17yd pass from Revelle (Cole Kick)
SC – Patrick Primus 45yd punt return (Cole Kick)
SC – Jatavious Mckayhan 20yd run (Cole Kick)
SC- 27-138, 1 TD
SL – Anthony Robinson 10-27; Trenton Johnson 5-10; Jalin Scruggs 2-4; Josh Stone 11-1; Jorderion Hamilton 1-0; Totals 29-42.
SL – Stone 2-7, 12 yds, 1 INT
SC – Revelle 7-15, 122 yds, 3TD’s, 3
SC – 7-15, 122 yds, 3 TD’s
SL – Robinson 2-12
- Southern Lee had 2 turnovers to 4 for Scotland County.
- Scotland County had 8 penalties including 3 personal foul calls, Southern Lee had 5 penalties.
- Junior Anthony Robinson was named the Normann Financial Group/WWGP Offensive Player of the Game for Southern Lee.
- Senior Jeremiah Freeman was named the Normann Financial Group/WWGP Defensive Player of the Game.
- The Wilkinson Coach’s Player of the Game will be announced on the Coach’s Show at a special 7:00pm start this Tuesday night on WFJA Sports 105.5 FM.
- Don’t forget to go to the Sports Tab on the Toolbar and select season stats for all the latest stats for Cavalier Football and all the results from the Sandhills 3A/4A Conference.